When your marriage comes to an end and you are faced with the task of having to go through with the process of a divorce, deciding how to choose the right divorce attorney might seem difficult or complicated.
How do you know which attorney is right for you? Hiring the right attorney can mean the difference between a cost-effective and speedy divorce, or a nightmare that takes forever. Take a moment to invest in making the right choice for your unique circumstances and goals.
The following steps can help you understand what to look for when hiring a divorce lawyer:
1. Be realistic: Remember that divorce is a legal process and its primary purpose is to dissolve your marital assets, resolve custody issues, and determine if any spousal support is to be ordered.
You should look for an attorney who is honest, straightforward, and one who can help you make objective decisions.
It is also important to remember that you could end up racking up a higher bill if you choose to spend your attorney’s time talking about issues that will not have any bearing on your case.
2. Remain focused on your goals: Your goal is to get divorced and to do so without taking a major hit to your lifestyle, so do not let your emotions get in the way of negotiating over items that are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
If you stall negotiations, your divorce will take more time, possibly end up in litigation, and end up being far more expensive than it should be. Keep your focus on the endgame since these detours will not be worth it.
3. Understand what you want: This is something you should consider before you start looking for an attorney. If your case is not particularly complicated, you might want to consider a mediator. This approach is often the fastest and least expensive way to get divorced. You can even have an attorney present to help assist you with negotiations.
Another option is collaborative divorce, which focuses on facilitating negotiations while preserving a healthy co-parenting relationship. A litigated trial should always be your last resort, so take the time to truly understand your needs and wants and find an attorney who is best suited to address them.
4. Look for red flags: The sad fact is that many attorneys will try to tell you what they think you want to hear to get hired. This is your life, but for some attorneys, this is just a business. One red flag to look out for is the promise of a guarantee. A guarantee might sound great, but you should never believe it. There can never be any guarantees or promises in the process of a divorce.
If, while you are interviewing an attorney, he or she appears distracted by phone calls and emails, this is another red flag. It means that attorney would likely be unable to focus on you or give you the attention your case deserves if you were to hire him or her.
5. Assess the attorney's experience and approach: Check the attorney's qualifications, their experience, and ask if he or she has handled cases similar to yours. The attorney you ultimately choose should be local, professional, knowledgeable, and responsive to all of your questions and concerns. You should feel at ease with him or her and feel a sense of trust.
Trusted Fresno Divorce Attorney Ready to Serve You
At the Arnold Law Group, our Fresno divorce attorneys bring decades of experience and insight in family law and family courts across the Bay Area. We understand that deciding to end a marriage is never easy, which is why we are here to provide personalized and caring legal support to help assist you through this undoubtedly challenging time. Let our team help you move forward to the next chapter of your life with renewed hope and optimism.
Contact us today at (559) 900-1263 to schedule your case evaluation.