Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 559-900-1263

Tell us about your case, and we will tell you how we can help!

Fresno Relocation Attorneys

California Move Away Cases

Going through a divorce can be challenging, especially when children are involved. If you have just been through a complicated divorce, you may be seeking a new beginning. Whether you are looking to relocate for a new job, a better home, or simply a lifestyle change, you will need to think through several factors before deciding to make a move. Unfortunately, it is far more complicated than just "getting up and moving." It is important that you follow the proper legal steps to ease your relocation case.

Schedule a consultation by calling our firm at (559) 900-1263 today. 

Taking the Right Relocation Steps

The court may not be able to stop you from moving or relocating, but they may prevent your child from joining you. If the move will hinder the mandated visitation rights of the other parent, the court may determine that you violated custody law and remove some of your custody rights. In order to make a move without losing your child, you will need to prove to the court that it is in your child's best interests prior to relocating.

The court will review a variety of factors, including:

  • The child's relationship with both parents
  • The age of a child
  • How long the custody order has been in place
  • The stability of their present home
  • The distance of the move from the other parent
  • The child's wishes
  • The reasons a parent wants to relocate

If another parent has visitation or child custody rights, you will need to consider how this will impact your child. Furthermore, you will want to make sure that your relocation does not violate child custody law and is done properly to avoid any complications. 

What Is Required Before I Can Relocate with My Child?

  • File a move away motion with the court explaining the reason for your relocation and why it is in the child's best interest.
  • The other parent is served the petition and will respond by agreeing or objecting to the move.
  • You and the other parent will try to reach an agreement on visitation arrangements and parenting plans
  • If an agreement cannot be reached, a relocation will be held in front of a judge to decide what is in the best interests of the child.

Contact Our Firm Today for an Initial Consultation

You could face serious consequences if you decide to move to another state without notifying the other parent. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act allows the other parents to take legal action for up to six months, meaning your custody rights may be threatened.

When you call our firm, we will carefully review the current custody and visitation plan to determine how this will affect your relocation plans. With more than three decades of collective legal experience, we know how to handle relocation matters. 

Call our firm at (559) 900-1263 now to schedule a consultation with our relocation attorneys in Fresno.

Ready to Get Started? Contact Us for a Consultation