Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 559-900-1263

Former Teen Mom Star Amber Portwood Loses Custody of Her Son


Recently, the child custody battle between former Teen Mom star Amber Portwood and her ex came to an end. According to E! News, an entertainment news media outlet, Portwood lost the custody dispute, and her ex was awarded sole legal and primary physical custody of their 4-year-old son. Portwood has had past struggles with mental illness and substance abuse, but she has reportedly worked hard to overcome those issues in recent years.

It was not stated whether Portwood’s past struggles played a role in the custody ruling. She is understandably devastated with the outcome of the case. As of this report, there has been no word as to whether Portwood plans to appeal the decision.

Can I Appeal a Child Custody Decision in California?

In some cases, a parent who loses custody of their children can appeal a child custody decision or request a modification of a child custody or visitation agreement. A child custody ruling can only be appealed after the final judgment. In addition, temporary child custody orders are not eligible for appeal.

As far as modifications go, parents generally only request a modification of a child custody or visitation agreement if there is an issue or change in circumstances that is or could cause instability in the children’s lives. Examples of this include one of the parents planning to move to a new area, a parent abusing drugs, a parent abusing the kids physically or emotionally, one of the parents experiencing serious health problems, or the parent with custody wrongfully refusing to grant the other parent visitation rights.

Speak with Our Experienced Child Custody Attorneys Today

Our children mean everything to us, so it’s hard to imagine losing custody of them. However, it does happen, and in that moment, it can seem like your whole world is crashing down around you. Fortunately, you do have options. Child custody decisions aren’t always permanent. In many cases, if you lose a custody battle, you can appeal or modify it.

If you have lost custody of your kids, reach out to our experienced family law attorneys at Arnold Law Group, APC. Our child custody lawyers have over 30 years of combined legal experience. We know how to successfully guide you through the appeal or modification process, and we have a long history of helping clients secure custody rights.

For more information about appealing a child custody decision or modifying a child custody agreement, or to speak with our experienced child custody attorneys about your situation, call us at (559) 900-1263 or contact us online today. You don’t have to go through this alone.

Share To: