Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 559-900-1263

What Happens if a Parent Refuses to Pay Child Support in California?


Child support is a crucial aspect of raising a child, but what happens when your ex-partner refuses to pay? This can be a frustrating and stressful situation, but there are steps you can take to ensure that your child receives the financial support they deserve.

In this blog post, we’ll explore the consequences of not paying child support in California and provide advice on what to do if you find yourself in this stressful situation.

Consequences of Not Paying Child Support

If a parent refuses or stops paying child support in California, they can face serious consequences.

These penalties include:

  • Wage Garnishment: The court may order the non-paying parent's employer to withhold a portion of their paycheck for child support payments.
  • Tax Refunds: Federal and state tax refunds can be seized to satisfy the unpaid support.
  • Credit Reporting: Non-payment of child support can be reported to credit agencies and may result in a negative impact on the non-custodial parent’s credit score.
  • Suspension of Licenses: California can suspend the non-paying parent's driver's license, professional licenses, and recreational licenses (such as fishing and hunting licenses) until the child support is paid or an agreement is reached.
  • Jail: If the non-paying parent disobeys a court order requiring them to pay child support, they can face jail time. Even while in jail, they will still owe child support payments.

What to Do If Your Ex Won't Pay Child Support

If your ex-partner refuses to pay child support, there are several steps you can take to ensure your child receives the financial support they deserve.

Contact Your Ex-Partner

If you find yourself dealing with a situation where your ex-partner has missed payments, it may be worth reaching out to them to discuss what's going on if you feel safe doing so. Sometimes, there may be a valid reason for the missed payments, such as a loss of job or other circumstances that have caused financial hardship. In such a situation, communicating with your ex-partner may help you come up with a plan to address the missed payments, such as modification.

However, if your ex-partner refuses to pay and fails to provide a reasonable explanation, it's important to take action.

Document Everything

When it comes to proving that your ex is not fulfilling their child support obligations, keeping a record of missed payments and communication attempts is crucial. Additionally, any other evidence that supports your case can be helpful in court. It's important to be thorough and organized in order to present a strong argument. Make sure you keep track of everything, whether it's missed payments or ignored messages.

Contact Child Support Services

If you're struggling to enforce your child support order, the California Department of Child Support Services can help. Visit their website or call them at 1-866-901-3212. You can receive guidance and support on collecting your child support payments.

File a Motion for Contempt

If your ex-partner refuses to pay child support, you can take legal action by filing a motion for contempt with the court. This can result in serious consequences for your ex, including fines or even jail time.

However, it's crucial to have a family law attorney on your side to navigate this process and ensure your rights are protected. As frustrating as it can be to deal with an uncooperative ex, taking action through the legal system can help you get the financial support you and your child deserve.

Talk to a Family Law Attorney

Dealing with an ex who refuses to pay child support is not only frustrating, but it can also be detrimental to your child's well-being. It's essential to enlist the help of an experienced family law attorney who can assist you in navigating the legal process and ensuring that your child's rights are protected.

At Arnold Law Group, APC, we understand the importance of child support payments and can help you if you're not receiving them or if you need to modify them. Don't let your child suffer unnecessary financial hardships due to an absent parent; let us help you fight for what your child deserves.

Call us today at (559) 900-1263 or reach out to us online to schedule a consultation.